Enjoy these moist, decadent muffins with a tall glass of cold milk. Loaded with goodness, they are almost completely guilt-free!
- 2 cups all purpose flour (260g)
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour (65g)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (80g)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (20g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (5g)
- ½ teaspoons salt (3g)
- 1 cup buttermilk (250g)
- 1 cup sugar (250g)
- ¼ cup butter, melted (60g)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (60g)
- 2 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
- 1¼-cup zucchini, shredded (300g)
- 1-cup semi sweet, chocolate chunks (150g)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with cooking spray or use muffin liners and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, oil, melted butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Then add in the shredded zucchini and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and toss in the chocolate chunks. Stir batter gently until no more traces of dry flour are visible. Do not over-mix, as that will cause the muffin to be tough.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tin. The muffin cups should be filled to the brim.
- Place into the oven and immediately bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees. After 5 minutes, reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before placing them on a cooling rack to continue cooling.